Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas, time for reflection


After almost 3 years, it has become (on Christmas seasson) a tradition here at the Siebel Resources blog to take time to share my thoughts.

Recently, I was getting answers to focus on the question: Profession is just a job or lifestyle? And here are my lucubrations on this...

On our journey through life, I think that our roadmap should be based on a consistent education. More and more, the rise of creativity and developing innovation relies on our education and professional background. And that means that a profession is closer to lifestyle than simply a job, because of the constant individual involvement level.

Anyway I think that's so complex, I wonder if professional structures in a regional labour market influences the choice of education and profession. And I think obviously so, we are conditioning on the labour market. In addition, I notice that the essence of each region is nowadays missing, that means talk about new concepts such as job mobility, globalization and so on.

There is an expression found in the letters of Isaac Newton: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

As a conclusion, I believe that each region can be identified by activities which are the lifeblood of each specific region. In another words, obviously there are innumerable disciplines, but each region is a source of focused expertise (such as Centers of Excellence), so I think that's no sense lose the product of generations of efforts  because of economy, in particular capitalism. Within a concret context, What i would mean by it, is that I come from a region where the textil industry was the root, and nothing make me saddier than realize that my region is unable to offer competitive “just in time” products.

In general, low quality imports are cheaper to produce, and it works in the era of Consummation within short term use. Anyway, not only destroy local competitors’ product, but also destroy regional production system and acumulative knowledge.

If you ask me we should not waste our ancestors' efforts, don’t let the giant die, standing on the shoulder of consummerism.

Bon Nadal i bona entrada al 2013.
Joan Martí Peraire.